Friday, June 28, 2013

Star Wars Weekend: Is It Worth It?


                A few weeks ago, I attended my first Star Wars Weekend at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I love Disney. I love Star Wars. But I am still shocked at how excited I was meeting every character and talking to other fans. I highly recommend attending Star Wars Weekend if any of you are planning a Disney trip in the future!

                The first character my boyfriend, Joe, and I met was Darth Vader. Now, he had the longest line of any character we saw- but it was worth it. He pushed little kids over, denied high fives, and threatened children with his Stormtrooper guards. It was wonderful.


                I managed to get a hug. (Actually, he didn't notice me, but this picture kind of makes it look like we hugged. Right??)

                One character who did not shy away from hugs was Chewbacca. He was so happy and excited to meet everyone. Wookies are ferocious, yet they choose to love. He could have ripped my arms off but instead he gave me three hugs. This is why I admire him so much! 


                I met Asajj Ventress, from the Clone Wars series. It should be noted that I am absolutely afraid of her. Joe told her this so she grabbed my hair as we took a picture- I am still freaking out about it! At Disney World, you believe in the magic. When meeting one of the most evil, scary, terrible characters ever, you really get scared. And that’s pretty awesome.


                The Chipwoks were the only characters we met that were part Disney, part Star Wars. They were adorable and even made my boyfriend and me kiss!


                Mace Windu was impressed that I was a Jedi Master, Darth Maul didn’t say ANYTHING (super awkward), I negotiated a trade with a Jawa. It was perfect.

                All of the characters were great experiences, but meeting Ahsoka Tano made my life. I don’t just like Ahsoka, I want to be her (#fangirlproblems). I was nervous talking to her- that pesky Disney magic- so of course Joe told her I was obsessed with her and she was my favorite character ever. Luckily, she got excited and we began discussing different missions she’s been on!


                Some of the voice actors from The Clone Wars had a show in which they brought some fans onstage and let them act out a scene!


It was so fun seeing the stars and getting to see how excited the fans were. I love Ashley Eckstein for all she’s done for fangirls (more on that later) so this was perfect for me! Other celebrities were there, but I’ve already met Peter Mayhew (twice!) and attended a Q&A with Billy Dee Williams, so I didn’t feel the need to camp out at 3 a.m. to get a fast pass for their autographs.

                What made me happiest about this Star Wars Weekend was all of the fangirls. Every little girl there (and many boys) LOVED Ahsoka and that made me happy! I met one girl who was having the time of her life- while her dad was bored and not a Star Wars fan. Finally there is a line of cute merchandise designed for fangirls, Her Universe. I remember watching the original trilogy when I was younger and being disappointed that there weren’t more female characters. I’m so happy that young girls today have great role models in the Star Wars universe, as well as some to fear!


Star Wars weekend brought out the best in me, I hope that all of you can attend one soon. All of your Disney-now-owns-Star-Wars fears (if you have any) should be washed away. The union of these two powerful organizations means that fans will always have something exciting to look forward to! J

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? I wanna get an idea of how tall the Ahsoka cosplayer is.

    ReplyDelete