Monday, August 12, 2013

Pixar Theory: What Happens When People Have Too Much Free Time

                The Pixar Theory pretty much blows my mind.
                Never heard of it? Click here for all of the basics (or just continue reading and hope I provide enough information!): http://www.pixartheory.com/
                Or here, for the full theory: http://jonnegroni.com/2013/07/11/the-pixar-theory/

                    

                As in life, everything in Pixar is connected. That’s something most of us Disney-Pixar fans have figured out; there’s references to multiple films in each one and many of them share the same themes.
                But what I never would have figured out is that Pixar films all take place on Earth over a timeline of thousands of years. I would have never thought that Boo (the adorable girl from Monsters Inc) grows up to be a time-traveling witch desperately looking for Sully.

                   
                                   Notice the Pizza Planet truck! 

                This is what happens when people have too much free time. I don’t mean that in a negative way- I think it’s amazing that someone was so moved by movies that he wanted to understand everything about them. Pixar surely knows of his theory by now. Whether or not everything in the Theory (the capital T makes it so much more official) was intentionally done by Pixar, it is worth a read. Ultimately, it poses a lesson of love and tolerance and I’d like to think that Pixar would support that message.
We all get into our fandoms and I love that. I think about which side of the force I’d be destined to and why Luna is the best witch ever and whether lembas tastes good. I feel instantly connect to other fans when we discuss our shared interest.
I love analyzing these worlds because they teach us so much about our own.
                I study history in order to gain a better understanding of our present and future, not just the past. (Also, it might make me a better wargamer!)
I understand why Jon Negroni spent all of those hours coming up with the Pixar Theory- he wanted to understand his own world by analyzing the ones in these well-planned and touching movies.
I’ll give you guys a little summary, but I promise that it does not do the Theory justice. Just go and read the whole thing. It won’t take that long. :)


The Theory begins and ends with Brave. The witch turns the Queen into a bear, step one in the blur between animals and humans. These magically enhanced animals continue to evolve and breed. 
In Ratatouille, animals begin experimenting with human behaviors; Up shows us how intelligent dogs are through the collars, which humans will then industrialize in order to exploit; Finding Nemo suggests the animosity between humans and animals has grown. 

                 
        Dug doesn't look unhappy... but he does seem pretty human!

Animals became powerful due to the magic and evolve at increased speeds. They’re angry that humans are polluting the Earth and taking advantage of them.
In addition, artificial intelligence poses a threat to humanity. This feud begins with The Incredibles, machines turn against humans. 
But why? Because humans are discarding (sentient) objects, like in Toy Story

                     
                               The saddest movie scene of all time.

A.I. relies completely on humans, and rules them through the super corporation hinted at in multiple films, Buy-N-Large (BNL). All of this industrialization leads to pollution, so naturally, animals and A.I. become at war too.
Unsurprisingly, machines win and Earth is dominated by Cars (and Planes). 

                    
                                 Watch out for machines, everyone!

Wall-E shows us the last effort to save humans, on Axiom, where humans are now the completely dependent ones. Wall-E is a hero and life can flourish on Earth again. A seed is planted… the seed of the tree from both A Bug’s Life and Up. Finally, machines, humans, and animals live harmoniously together and create a new species of monsters!

       Monsters need humans for energy and travel back in time through doors to capture it. The witch from Brave wanted to find Sully and travels through time, through doors of course, to find him. She went back in time to Mordu in order to find the magic to bring back her best friend.

                  
                           Anyone else getting a little teary-eyed?

                There are parts of the Pixar Theory which I am skeptical to believe. But I want to believe. (Okay, I just really want to evolve into a monster someday. I understand how evolution works and I know that just because humans/animals might evolve into monsters in these movies doesn’t mean I will be one but I’m stubborn, so that’s that.)

                           
                                   I already go to MU. I'm halfway there. 

                This interpretation of Pixar is brilliant. I don’t care if it’s right or wrong. I like it because look at all of the life lessons it teaches us:
1. Treat all life forms with respect- even those “inanimate objects.” Don’t jump on the bed, it has feelings too. Love your pets. Don’t drop your phone in the toilet.
2. Robots are awesome, but are they worth the risk? We KNOW they are going to conquer humans.
3. Don’t let any corporations/organizations get too big.  It’s only going to backfire.
4. Just kidding, let all of these terrible things happen so we can become MONSTERS.

                Here’s my Theory: continue being passionate about whatever it is that makes you happy. Stay strong in your convictions and never give up on your dreams. I’m going to become a Scarer one day, what will you do? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment