Wednesday, November 6, 2013

On Being Your (nerdy) Self

I am so happy with my life. I’m happy with the fact that I don’t care what others think of me, yet it definitely wasn't always that way. I understand that there is pressure to be a certain way, to like certain things, and to conform in an infinite amount of ways.

You know what? You are so much better than that. You are so much stronger than that.

To encourage all of you to embrace your inner self and be proud of who you are, I’ve compiled a list of strong role models that we can all learn something from.

These women (and a droid) have inspired me to embrace all that I love and not be afraid to let my inner nerd out. I am constantly learning how to improve my real life from my favorite fandoms. Trying to learn lessons from the things I love and applying them to my life adds depth to my favorite shows, movies, and books. 

Here's the list of some of my favorite (fictional) role models :

Rapunzel:

                Despite being forced to live in a tower her entire life, Punzie never gave up hope of a brighter future. Even when she found out that her whole life has essentially been a lie, she wasn't bitter or angry. She was hurt, which is understandable, but didn't let it rain on her being-a-princess parade. She looked past Flynn’s -- Eugene’s-- rough edges and found the love of her life.

Remember: during the Zombie Apocalypse, anything can be a weapon.

Lessons learned:  Never give up on your dreams, but be prepared for when they change. Always look for the good in people, like Rapunzel did with the ruffians. Be grateful for all you have and the beauty around you- life is wonderful every day, not just when floating lanterns light up the sky.

Merida:

                Merida is frequently viewed as the only “strong” princess, but I believe they are ALL great role models in their own right. Either way, this Brave princess shows that you don’t have to become who everyone expects you to. No matter what you love – archery, horseback riding, or amazing Celtic tunes – you will be accepted by the ones who truly matter. By the end of the film (spoiler alert), she realizes that her parents will always love her just as she is, even if she accidentally turned her mom into a bear.


One day, I'll be able to do that!

Lessons learned: Don’t do anything before you are ready. Don’t worry about what others think because the ones who love you will support your decisions. Oh, and master some pretty cool skills so no one tries to force you to get married.

Sofia:

                I may not be in the targeted audience of Sofia the First, but it’s such an adorable show. Sofia is kind, understanding, and wise beyond her years. Even when she experienced a rise in socioeconomic status by becoming a princess (too many social science classes...), she doesn't lose sight of her roots -- and most importantly her old friends from the village.

                        
                          Tim Gunn is on the show, too. The cast is amazing.

Lessons learned: Sofia doesn't let her gown or tiara change her and instead uses her royal status by enriching the lives of those around her. You may KNOW that you are a princess (I certainly do!), but that doesn't mean you can become self-centered and ignore those around you.

Ahsoka:

                My absolute favorite character in anything. This Jedi Padawan from The Clone Wars has done more for young Star Wars fans than I can even imagine. I would gush about how perfect she is, but since I see myself so much in her, that would probably make me seem a little vain. Ahsoka, like Merida, doesn’t take to direction very well. But it’s not a teenage rebellion sort of thing, it’s more that she’s a freethinker. She’s not going to violate her own moral code just because that’s what’s expected of her as a Jedi Padawan. Ahsoka is independent, tough, and independent. By the end of the series, it’s clear that she makes her own decisions.

                                  
                                    It's obvious that I want to be her.

Lessons learned: Ahsoka fought off countless droids and villains; you can handle all of the problems in your life. Have some confidence in your abilities and you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve. :)

R2-D2

Let’s be real: R2-ey is the real hero of Star Wars. Without R2-D2, there would be no story. Everyone would be dead/in a trash compactor/ floating around in space. Not only does he survive all of the movies, he does so without being harmed. He’s creative, intelligent, and most importantly, a loyal friend.

                             R2: a droid that say so much in so few words.

Lessons learned: Beep boop. Dweeeeep.

Rose

Rose is by far my favorite companion in Doctor Who. She was the first companion to be the Doctor’s equal. I have a soft-spot for the love between the 10th Doctor and Rose, but even if you don’t, it’s hard to argue with other qualifications for making it onto this list. She’s clever, tough, and brave- after all, she isn't afraid of facing Daleks. I love Rose because she brought out the best of the Doctor, just as he brought out the best in her. That’s what a good relationship, romantic or otherwise, should be about.

                       
                                           Love is supposed to be silly!

Lesson learned: Rose knew her time with the Doctor wouldn't last forever. After all, she knew the nature of Time Lords and how dangerous their adventures were. Rose was able to love the Doctor and their time together, even though she knew it would eventually end. The future is scary for everyone, but that doesn't mean we can’t enjoy the present and the time we have with the people in our lives.

In these characters, I see traits that I'm proud to have, and traits that I'm currently lacking. However, I am aware of what I need to change and hopefully, these role models will guide me. 

What characters inspire you to be the best person you can be? :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment